Sometimes it just takes a look in the fridge to be inspired. Seeing that we had some veg to use, and knowing how much we love to garlic fry it, we decided to create something along those lines!
Whilst we do follow recipes, and learning how to use flavours is great, t’s good to experiment and test what you are learning. More often than we’d like to admit, we don’t get the balance of flavours 100% right. But it still tastes nice! And the feeling that you’ve thought of the recipe, altered from a cookbook or not, is great.
Plus you can never go wrong with noodles!
Noodles are such a versatile ingredient, with so many different components available. Another goodie we like is courgette, so next time we make it we may add it. Meals don’t have to be identical every time you make them, that’s the enjoyment!
The contrast between the savoury noodle sauce and sweetness of the pepper, carrot and mange tout, partnered with the sharpness of the spring onions, to us is what makes this recipe so moreish.
To us, tamari acts like marmite- we know it’s there, but it doesn’t overpower. Instead it boosts the other flavours in the sauce. Toasted sesame oil can also be tasted, however it provides a subtle flavour, but one that you would miss if not added.
For some, the ingredients used in the sauce may not be a favourite. The hoisin sauce and miso paste are both bold flavours. If too much miso paste is used, the noodles could taste bitter and too salty. So we suggest that you start with less incase its not to your taste, and add to our recommended amount, but be careful not to add to much.
- 3 Gloves of Garlic
- 2 Large Carrots
- 1 and 1/2 Sweet Red Peppers
- A Handful of Mushrooms
- 3 Spring Onions
- 200g Mangetout
- 400g Egg Noodles
- 1 Tablespoon Miso Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon Tamari Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Sesame Oil
- Prepare the carrots how you would like- we chose to spaghetti ours! Then thinly slice the garlic, mushrooms and pepper in preparation to be fried.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a pan, and once heated add the garlic. Leave to fry for a few minutes.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms and pepper and coat them in the garlic oil. Fry on a high heat until cooked to your preference.
- When the veg is cooked, place on a low heat and add the mangetout to lightly stir-fry.
- In another pan, mix the toasted sesame oil, tamari sauce, hoisin sauce and miso paste over a high heat.
- Once mixed, add the egg noodles and ensure they are fully coated (you may need to add more oil), and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- When cooked, add in the veg and mix well.
- Once served, chop the spring onions and sprinkle on top!