CHRISTMAS SAUSAGE ROLLS
It’s a Christmas Tradition in my family, to make sausage rolls on Christmas Eve and have them for breakfast on Christmas morning – I don’t know why we started, but it’s a tradition we now do every year without fail!
There are so many variations of vegan sausage that you are sure to have your favourite. It’s so simple and can be easily personalised with the flavours, so it’s perfect to have experiment with and have some fun.
Preparation : 30 minutes
Baking Time : 25 – 30 minutes
– For the Mince Pies –
• 500g Vegan Pastry (I used Jus Rol Shortcrust)
• Vegan Sausages (I used 8 Sausages)
• Small Amount of Milk (I used Oat)
– For the Decoration –
• Red Food Colouring
• Green Food Colouring
– For the Mince Pies –
1. Preheat the oven to 180C fan and line a baking tray.
2. On a floured surface, roll out the pastry to a thickness of around 1/2 cm and set a small amount aside for the decoration.
3. Cut the remaining pastry into four even rectangles and set aside whilst you prepare the sausages.
4. In a bowl, break up your preferred sausages (depending on the brand, you may need to take the skin off) and divide it into quarters.
5. Fill half of each rectangle of pastry with the sausage and coat the other half with milk to help it stick. Fold the empty half over the sausage and press the pastry together across the long side to seal it together.
6. One all the sausage rolls are made, cut slits into the top and brush them with milk – this will help them brown and for the decoration to stick.
7. For the decoration, divide the remaining pastry in half and colour one half with red and the other with green food colouring. Roll out the green pastry thinly, cut out holly leaves and place them on the sausage rolls (they should stick due to the milk, but if not just add a little more milk). Divide the red pastry and roll it into small balls and place them around the holly leaves on the sausage rolls.
8. Place in the oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
9. When they’re taken out of the oven, take them out of the tray and leave them to cool completely on a rack.
• If you make this, tag me on Instagram @caelifestyle or use the hashtag #caebakes • Disclaimer •