Lentil and Chickpea Soup
Nutritious, fulfilling and full of goodness, this lentil and chickpea soup is a must try!
Sometimes all you need is a nice big bowl of soup. There’s something about sitting down with a hot bowl of soup whilst it’s cold outside, that’s just so warming – especially here in England when it seems to always be raining, so it’s something that comes around often!
What’s great about soup, is that you can use up any leftover bits of veg in your fridge and throw in any spices you like. This soup is no different, as veg and spices add to the base flavour from the lentils and chickpeas. We all love a meal that uses up what’s left in the fridge whilst being full of goodness and flavour, don’t we?
Preparation : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
Makes : 4 – 6 servings
• 200g Red Lentils
• 200g Chickpeas (Already Cooked)
• 260g Carrot (Roughly 1 Large Carrot)
• 130g Cauliflower
• 110g Red Pepper
• 1 Litre Veg Stock (4 tsp Veg Stock Powder)
• 1 Onion
• 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
• 1/2 tsp Cumin
• 1 tsp Paprika
• 1/2 tsp Turmeric
• 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
1. In a pan, heat some oil. Once heated add the onion, garlic, carrot, pepper, cauliflower and fry.
2. Add the cumin, paprika, turmeric and ground coriander, stirring until the spices coat the veg.
3. As soon as the veg is coated, pour in the stock, lentils and chickpeas. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat. Allow to simmer for around 10 minutes or until the veg is softened.
4. Use an immersion blender to smoothen the soup, adding water once smooth if you prefer a thinner soup.
5. Serve with some cashew cream, fresh coriander and flatbreads.
6. To store, seal in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for a week, or in the freezer for up to one month – make sure you reheat it thoroughly.
• If you make this, tag me on Instagram @caelifestyle or use the hashtag #caebakes • Disclaimer •