Easy 5-Ingredient Bagels
I have always loved bagels, but thought that they would be something that I wouldn’t be able to easily recreate. Well, I was mistaken! Not only are these bagels really easy to make, but you only need one bowl and just 5-ingredients.
These bagels are soft and airy inside, with a crisp outer shell and can be enjoyed warm from the oven or reheated the next day… if they make it that long!
When testing this recipe, I made about 30 bagels in two days and none lasted longer than the day I made them… they’re a big hit with my family! They’re so simple to make and as it’s an unsweetened dough, they are perfect for savoury snacks as well as jams and marmalades (I have a super simple jam recipe for you!).
Simple, soft, delicious; these bagels are a must-try!
Preparation : 30 minutes (overall)
Rest : 1 hour
Baking Time : 25 – 30 minutes
Makes : 8 bagels
• 350g Plain Flour
• 380g Greek Style Dairy-Free Yoghurt
• 10g Oil
• 5g Instant Dried Yeast
• 5g Salt
• Dairy-Free Milk to bind the ends and brush on top
• Poppy Seeds and Sesame Seeds (Optional)
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, yoghurt, oil, yeast and salt. Mix for a couple of minutes until a dough forms.
2. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for around 5 minutes, until it holds its shape (the dough should stop sticking to your fingers when it’s ready).
3. Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough inside, covering the top and setting aside for 1 hour for the dough to prove.
4. After proving, preheat the oven to 180C fan and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Then, divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
5. Roll out the smaller portions into sausage shapes and dip the ends into some milk. Bring the ends together, rounding the dough, leaving a hole in the centre to create the signature bagel look.
6. Place the shaped dough onto your lined baking tray and brush the tops with milk. If using, sprinkle on your poppy and sesame seeds.
7. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until golden brown.
8. Once baked, leave on a rack to cool or enjoy warm!
• If you make this, tag me on Instagram @caelifestyle or use the hashtag #caebakes • Disclaimer •